Essentials Social Awareness
This course is aimed at anyone seeking opportunities to help boost their skills for success, personal development and employability. The course covers social awareness and self-development, particularly in relation to communication skills, awareness of mental health conditions and understanding of nutrition and well-being. This course will also educate in online awareness, money management and current affairs. The essentials study programme is targeted towards colleges, with the understanding that learners will undertake selected sections of content and assessment in relevant areas to develop their skills for life and work.
Unit 1: Communicating
- Section 1: Managing your social behaviour
- Section 2: Communicating with others socially
- Section 3: Understanding equality and diversity
- Section 4: Understanding your rights
- Section 5: Safeguarding and Prevent
- Section 6: Understanding learning difficulties
- Section 7: Creating healthy relationships
Unit 1 summary:
In this unit, explore examples of positive and negative social behaviour, different forms of communication and when they are appropriate, as well as looking at key pieces of legislation such as The Equality Act 2010 and The Human Rights Act 1998. Look at radicalisation, terrorism, and extremism and how the Prevent strategy is working to address these issues in society.
Unit 2: Common mental health problems
- Section 1: Understanding stress
- Section 2: Understanding anxiety
- Section 3: Understanding depression
- Section 4: Understanding eating disorders
Unit 2 summary:
In this unit, explore the possible causes of each mental health problem, the signs and symptoms of them and the different ways they can be treated. Consider the impact of each mental health problem on an individual’s life and the ways in which those closest to an individual – such as friends and family – can be affected.
Unit 3: Nutrition, exercise and well-being
- Section 1: Food safety awareness
- Section 2: The principles of nutrition and a healthy diet
- Section 3: The principles of exercise
- Section 4: Alcohol awareness
- Section 5: Substance misuse awareness
- Section 6: Sexual health awareness
- Section 7: Talking matters
Unit 3 summary:
Consider the principles of preparing and storing food, the importance of personal hygiene, the different food groups and how to maintain a healthy diet, plus the benefits of exercise. This unit also looks at the signs of addictive behaviour, the long-term effects of substance misuse, the importance of consent and different types of sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Consider why it is important to talk about feelings and emotions and will consider ways they can encourage people to talk or make use of talking support services that are available.
Unit 4: Online awareness
- Section 1: Awareness of online safety
- Section 2: Awareness of social media
- Section 3: Awareness of grooming and exploitation
- Section 4: Creating a positive body image
Unit 4 summary:
Consider the potential dangers of online activity and social media, whilst looking into the impact of trolling, cyber bullying, and body image. This unit also covers the different types of exploitation and how to spot the signs of someone being exploited.
Unit 5: Money management
- Section 1: Personal household budgeting
- Section 2: Professional budgeting
Unit 5 summary:
In this unit, develop skills around setting realistic budgets and setting up household bills, whilst looking into the different types of tax and the dangers around loans. Also develop crucial skills and knowledge surrounding purchasing a house, applying for a mortgage, and saving money as part of a financial plan.
Unit 6: Current affairs
- Section 1: Awareness of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
- Section 2: Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ+)
- Section 3: Awareness of domestic violence
- Section 4: Awareness of gangs and drug channels
- Section 5: Environmental impact
- Section 6: Politics
- Section 7: Understanding British Values
- Section 8: Young carers
- Section 9: Forced marriage
Unit 6 summary:
This unit covers a wide range of sensitive topics including the different types of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), discrimination surrounding the LGBTQ+ community. It also covers the signs and symptoms of domestic violence, the impact of knife crime and the signs of someone being forced to marry against their will. This unit aims to increase awareness of current affairs and the modern world we live in, to improve their social awareness overall.